Wednesday 11 June 2014

Shanghai

For a lot of people, China can seem like a somewhat intimidating place. I know it certainly was for me before I moved there, it was somewhere I had only dreamed of visiting, and thought it would be a long while before I actually got to visit there!

I have travelled quite extensively in China, so I think it's a good idea to break it down into the major areas. This blog will focus mainly on Shanghai - though I'm sure I'll somehow entwine other places of interest in there too!


The skyline of Pudong (located on the east side of the Huangpu River) is breath taking. Considering in the early 90s this area was mostly farms and countryside, the development over the last two decades or so is absolutely phenomenal. In the photo above, the tall building to the left is called the Oriental Pearl Tower, with the Jinmao Tower (not visible in this particular picture), followed by the bottle-opener  SWFC  and the newest Shanghai Tower towering in at 632 m.  The latter three forming the world's tallest adjacent sky scrapers.


There are dozens of temples within Shanghai; but my favourite has to be the Confucius Temple (Wen Miao 文庙) . It's not 'off the beaten track' so to speak, but it's certainly one of the quietest - and to me the most beautiful.

It costs around 10 or 15 RMB to enter - discounted for students. On the trees outside the temple you can write your wishes and dreams on a Confucius tag and tie it to the tree.





The Jade Buddha Temple is a tranquil place, perfect to escape the hustle and bustle of Shanghai City Life. It's 20 RMB to enter (2013) and you have to opportunity to buy some food to feed the Koi in the pond to the rear of the temple (note: prepare to get wet - some of these fish are huge, and always hungry)






The YuYuan Gardens and Bazaar is one of the most popular attractions in Shanghai. With the bustling bazaar surrounding the gardens, it gives you a real feel for Shanghai. The many shops will not only leave you penniless (in my case) but will also ensure you appreciate the tranquility of the gardens even more so. The entrance fee is roughly 40 RMB but is well worth it. It's nice to spend an afternoon wandering around the rockeries but it's easy to get lost so make sure you plan a route before you get in there, or at least have a guide book! The teahouse just outside of the gardens is reached via a zig-zag bridge; this is due to early belief that evil spirits couldn't turn corners so kept them protected inside the house.




It really depends how much time you have in Shanghai. I lived there for nearly two years and that still wasn't enough for me, but for a flying three/four days there is plenty to do! There is also Longhua Temple and Pagoda, and Jing An Temple (the most popular) yet for me the latter is disappointing. Surrounded by billboards advertising Tiffany's and food restaurants, just somehow ruins the ambiance.

This brings me to my next big list...food. A crucial thing in my life. I live to eat, not eat to live. I LOVE trying new foods, and will never say no to trying something for the first time (maybe the second time - abalone for me was a big no no). So here is my extensive list of my favourite eateries in Shanghai.

  • The Fat Olive -   a great chilled place to have some mezzes, cold wine and a great view! I'm not going to lie, it's not the cheapest of places, but also nowhere near the most expensive. For me, the combination of delicious food, cold wine and spectacular view ranks this place among the highest in Shanghai.



  • Lost Heaven - now I've only been to the Gaoyou Lu branch - but I've been there uncountable times. The food is to die for, Yunnan style. The crab cakes, spring rolls, spicy beef salad, the fish oh my lord I could go on forever. I cannot fault this place in any way. The bar downstairs is quirky yet modern, and their cocktails are some of the best I've ever had (try the margarita!).

  • M on the Bund - this is the most expensive restaurant on the list. But the views, the food and the wine are exceptional. Located on the Puxi side of the river, on the Bund, the views of an evening in particular are second to none. I always claim I'm going to try something new, but end up with the same each time, Steak tartare followed by fillet beef. The Zinfandel wine is a beautiful accompaniment. Although a splurge, is definitely one not to miss in Shanghai.




  • The Brick is another favourite - I did say I had a lot of favourites! The food here is great, located in the heart of the city but still not too well-known it has a great atmosphere. At night, there is live jazz music for you to relax too whilst enjoying your venison and sipping on a sumptuous glass of red wine. Idyllic.
  • Hongmei Lu is the go to place for most expats. It's a pedestrian street located about 20/25 minutes from downtown. It'll cost you roughly 50 RMB to get there in a cab from the Bund, or even for the expats who live further afield (like I did) closer to the International Schools located near Hongqiao it's a similar price. Hongmei Lu is always bustling, there's a vast range of eateries, including German, Belgian, Spanish, Thai, Italian, Japanese - literally anything you can think of! I love it here - plus the German brewery has fantastic beer! 

Sorry for the terrible quality - taken on IPod

  • For those located downtown Xintiandi has some great places on offer. The Fountain does a lovely clam chowder in a bread bowl (~120RMB) and Brown Sugar is one of the best Jazz Clubs in town. On a Wednesday night, ladies get yourself down there for free flow Champagne from 9:30pm - 11pm and some fantastic live Jazz music going into the early hours of the morning!
  • A bit further down at Sinan Mansions there is another Fat Olive, plus the Boxing Cat Brewery and the Alchemist. There are some great pubs located around the French Concession, O'Malleys, Oscars, The Blarney Stone and The Camel to name a few.
  • Tianzifang is a well-hidden gem in Shanghai. From Dapuqiao subway station you can enter via a few street openings into a well concealed collection of interlocking courtyards homing some beautiful bars and shops. Bohemia is my favourite, it's lovely to sit upstairs and sip on a nice lychee martini, with a nice bit to eat in Kommune nearby, with their jam jar cocktails!
  • But no trip to Shanghai would be complete without a trip to Barbarossas. A Moroccan inspired gem hidden inside People's Park. I've only eaten here once and the food was good, but at 5pm the upstairs terrace and bar opens, and happy hour begins. Their extensive list of cocktails is incredible, the setting, the ambience and these delicious cocktails will definitely leave you begging for more. On my first trip to Shanghai, we discovered it by accident (this was in 2009) and it still remains a regular hotspot for my family - I urge you to try the banana and raspberry daiquiris!



No comments:

Post a Comment